This five-day instructor-led course teaches students how to design and implement a BI infrastructure. The course discusses design, installation. the course discusses design, installation, and maintenance of a BI platform.
This course is intended for BI professionals such as BI Architects or database professionals who need to design BI solutions. BI Architects are responsible for the overall design of the BI infrastructure, including how it relates to other data systems in use. In addition, their responsibilities include Online Analytical Processing (OLAP) cube design and integration with Microsoft SharePoint or line-of-business applications. Finally, they may apply those skills in a Windows Azure SQL Server database environment.
This course maps to skills and knowledge measured by Microsoft Exam 70-467, and in conjunction with on-the-job experience, can help prepare you for the exam.
Module 1: Planning a BI Solution
This modules discusses how to plan the components of a BI solution.
- Elements of a BI Solution
- Planning a BI Project
- The Microsoft BI Platform
- Describe elements of a BI Solution.
- Describe considerations for a BI project.
- Describe how Microsoft products can be used to implement a BI solution.
Module 2: Planning a BI Infrastructure
This modules explains how toplan an appropriate BI infrastructure for a given set of BI services.
- Planning a Data Warehouse Infrastructure
- Planning an ETL Infrastructure
- Planning Analysis Services Infrastructure
- Planning Reporting Services Infrastructure
- Plan a data warehouse infrastructure
- Plan an ETL infrastructure
- Plan Analysis Services infrastructure
- Plan Reporting Services infrastructure
Module 3: Designing a Data Warehouse
This module explain how to design a data warehouse for a given set of user requirements.
- Designing a Logical Schema
- Designing a Physical Schema
- Select a data modeling approach.
- Design a physical data warehouse schema
Module 4: Designing an ETL Solution
This module explains how to design an ETL solution for a data warehouse.
- Planning for Data Extraction
- Planning for Data Transformation
- Planning for Data Loading
- Planning for SSIS Package Deployment
- Plan data extraction in an ETL solution.
- Plan data transformation in an ETL solution.
- Plan data loading in an ETL solution.
- Plan SSIS package deployment
Module 5: Designing Analytical Data Models
This module explains how to design analytical data models for specific BI scenarios.
- Options for Analytical Models
- Data Model Design Considerations
- Describe options for analytical models.
- Describe considerations for cube design.
Module 6: Planning a BI Delivery Solution
This module explains how to choose an appropriate delivery solution for a given scenario.
- Considerations for BI Delivery
- Choosing a Delivery Approach
- Describe considerations for planning a BI delivery solution.
- Choose an appropriate technique for a given scenario.
Module 7: Designing a Reporting Services Solution
This module explains how to design a Reporting Services solution.
- Designing Reports
- Considerations for Report Execution
- Planning a Reporting Solution
- Plan a reporting solution.
- Describe considerations for report data.
- Describe considerations for report execution.
Module 8: Designing an Excel-Based Reporting Solution
This module explains how to design a reporting solution that uses Excel.
- Using Excel for Data Reporting and Analysis
- PowerPivot in Excel
- Power View in Excel
- Use Excel to analyze data.
- Use PowerPivot to analyze data.
- Use Power View to analyze data.
Module 9: Planning a SharePoint Server BI Solution
This module explains how to design a SharePoint BI solution.
- Introduction to SharePoint Server as a BI Platform
- Planning Security for a SharePoint Server BI Solution
- Planning Reporting Services Configuration
- Planning PowerPivot Configuration
- Planning for PerformancePoint Services
- Describe key considerations for using SharePoint for BI
- Describe key considerations for security when using SharePoint for BI
- Plan the deployment and configuration of Reporting Services in SharePoint Integration Mode
- Plan the deployment and configuration of PowerPivot
- Plan PerformancePoint Services in a SharePoint site
Module 10: Monitoring and Optimizing a BI Solution
This module explains how to monitor and optimize a BI solution.
- Overview of BI Monitoring
- Monitoring and Optimizing the Data Warehouse
- Monitoring and Optimizing Analysis Services
- Monitoring and Optimizing Reporting Services
- Plan BI monitoring.
- Plan data warehouse monitoring and optimization.
- Plan Analysis Services monitoring and optimization.
- Plan Reporting Services monitoring and optimization
Module 11: Planning BI Operations
This module explains how to plan management and maintenance operations for a BI solution.
- Overview of BI Operations
- Automating ETL Tasks
- Post ETL Tasks
- Planning a Backup Strategy for a BI Solution
- Plan BI operations.
- Plan ETL operations.
- Plan post-ETL tasks.
- Plan backup for a BI solution.
- Plan the components of a BI solution.
- Plan a BI infrastructure.
- Design a data warehouse.
- Design an ETL solution.
- Plan analytical data models.
- Plan a BI delivery solution.
- Design a Reporting Services solution.
- Design an Excel reporting solution.
- Plan a SharePoint Server BI solution.
- Monitor and optimize a BI solution.
- Plan for BI operations.